Tuesday, March 18, 2008

New Beds for the Garden

Gardening is a commitment.
I spend a lot of my time in the garden,
mostly in the spring, summer, and fall.
In the winter, I leave most of the
seed heads and don't trim things back
too much, to let the birds
and little animals have food and shelter.
I've tried to garden organically.
This is a hard decision when
the morning glory is shooting up everywhere.
In the Northwest, morning glory
is extremely invasive. More than blackberry.
I grow many herbs in the garden, along with other flowering plants. I use the herbs in cooking and medicinally. Herbs are also a deterrent to many pest. I have several large rosemary throughout the garden. The aroma is wonderful! I use rosemary in cooking, oils, and vinegars. This plant has already grown a lot this spring and is blooming.
When we first moved to this house, Gerry built raised beds out of old barn wood. We loved the look of them. Now they are getting old and are falling apart. Last fall we were talking about what material to use to redo the beds.
Along with being organic, we try to use recycled materials. A friend was remodeling, and taking out his fireplace. He asked if we wanted the bricks. We thought "perfect", for the raised beds. So they have been setting is this pile all winter, weathering, waiting for me to clean them up.

They have a bit of mortar on them. So instead of cleaning each one and stacking them. I'm cleaning as I go, so I'm not hauling them around twice.
I don't think I'll have enough to do all of the beds. We will just continue to be creative. Right now I'm just setting them in place. When I've used them all, I'll go back and mortar them into place.
So while the sun is shining for a while today, I better get out there, because I still need to get more garden dirt, plants, ............so many things to do in the garden in the spring, I love it!

2 comments:

A Romantic Porch said...

I just love the things you do and share on your blog. xoRachel

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Yes, so much to do in the garden! I love the look of your new raised beds! I did mine with wood but I'm going to take them apart at the end of the summer and make them narrower.

Manuela