Thursday, February 28, 2008

No plastic


I finally did it! I made it home from grocery shopping without adding to the plastic bag collection (except for the bread bags). I've been working on this for quite some time. First, I replaced all the big bags. I would have my bags with me for a couple of weeks then the next time forget them. I don't know how many times I've had to go running back to the car to get the bags, praying that my cart would not disappear. Then I started getting mesh bags for produce. I finally started carrying other bags for others kinds of shopping - like for fabric. Grocery stores are use to this, and are encouraging us bring bags. Other stores are still surprised to see someone with their own bag.
My favorites are the New Seasons bag, because it is so roomy. The red and black Trader Joe's bag is insulated and works great for juices and ice cream. Then the cloth bag from Germany. That was my first bag. People there have been using their own bags for years. My first time in a store there, the checker looked at me and wondered why I didn't have my own bag. What took me so long to practice this behavior?
I love the idea of a sustainable life. I also realize how difficult it is to change how we have grown use to doing things. I pray that I will be willing to acknowledge the things that still need to change in my life in that area and be willing to do what needs to happen to put it into practice.

1 comment:

frenchcanadianmissionary said...

This is pretty inspiring. We bring our own bags each time we do serious shopping (once a week), but we still constantly forget on those inbetween bread and milk-type trips. Thanks for paving the way ahead!