Thursday, February 11, 2010

Reclaiming the Window Molding

No way would I part with this window header and the surrounding molding when we added onto our home, turning the window into a door. This is molding from when the house was built in 1892. Old by Northwest standards. I thought about putting doorknobs on it and turning it into a coat rack or just something fun to hang things from. I never found just the right place. Finally,......inspiration struck! It would make a fine black splash for the table holding the sink in the bathroom.

So I added some new paint, and quickly put it up.

I think it would look good if I added a little stenciling to blend with the stenciling already in the room. But that will have to wait.........I loaned my favorite collection of stencils, the stencils were lost "somewhere". I am truly bummed about that. So I will add that detail later.

The mirror is off center from the table, but is centered to other features in the room. There are so many quirky, irregular features in this room that you have to look at the whole to balance everything.

I think I'm liken' it.

Her are some other views of the bathroom.

I found the decanter at goodwill and filled it with lavender and rose bath salts that I made with botanical from my yard.

I enjoy the sun and shadow effect that plays on the walls.


The sweet Amish couple I made years ago now aromatically sit on the ledge, scenting the air with their spice filled bodies and cinnamon arms and legs.

The large cast iron tub, original to the house, is perfect for relaxing and planning the day, or contemplating life's twisting turns. Things hanging from the shaker pegs need a little revamping. Another project....

I have a large old open shelving piece for storage. The old sewing drawers hold make up, clips, etc. The picnic basket holds the hair dryer and curling irons, etc. Jars and boxes add interest and hold all necessities, such as pot pourri, lotions, salts, and bath herbs.

I enjoy this old room. It hasn't changed much since first made as a very modern bathroom of that age. Time has almost stood still here. I'm glad I was able to take from one part of the house and add that part here, keeping it a part of the whole. Moving, changing, slightly, slowly, going forward, living.
Debbie

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your sink vanity/cabinet - how did you come to using it? its lovely!

Debbie said...

Andy,
Thanks for visiting! When we moved in the sink vanity was small, short, and ugly. I had seen sinks set into sideboards and buffetts., and loved the look, but could not afford them.But I found this table. It goes well with my primitive style. My family loves it. Thanks for asking. Have fun with your home.
Debbie

tincanlily said...

Great idea, it looks like it was always there! The door knob idea seemed interesting, maybe you will find a piece of wood somewhere in your travels. Flowers, we are a long way from flowers here, but there is light at the end of the tunnel! The bag you are making looks very interesting, can't wait to see the finished project!
denise
Have a wonderful weekend!

Debbie said...

Thanks Denise. You have had a hard winter there with all the snow. Hope you are staying warm. Spring is coming.Thanks for visiting,
Debbie

Old World Primitives said...

Hi Debbie,
I absolutely adore your bathroom!! It is so perfectly prim. When I finally move to my next house, I am determined to have a prim bathroom of my own too.

Stephanie

Cordwood Cabin said...

A beautiful room and a beautiful table (the backsplash is perfect for that old-fashioned vanity of unique charms) ... and I envy that deep and lovely tub that looks perfect for bubble baths.

A Bit of Colour said...

A very cool prim bathroom. Every detail is so prim.You have some greta ideas there what you used for storage.

Blessings~Kim