My friend found this chair on the sidewalk in her neighbourhood with a free sign in the seat. The upholstery was very worn, but the "bones" were in great shape. She started taking the old fabric off and decided it would be beyond her skill to redo the upholstery. I offered to help her, but she already decided not to keep the chair. I saved her the trouble of putting the chair on the sidewalk with a free sign, and told her I would take it home. Right away I started to recover it. My daughter's future mother-in-law was coming for a visit and I wanted it done before she arrived. I pulled ten thousand nails and staples from this chair, and nailed many more back in. I knew my hands would never be the same. I got the chair to the point of looking good from the front. I didn't think the future mother-in-law would be looking at the back of the chair since the back was next to a wall. I was getting tired of the project, and there were many other things to do. That was some time ago, longer than I care to admit to you. Finally, this week end, I could stand the gilt no longer. I pulled out that last back piece and put it on the chair. I put the dust cover on the bottom. Nailed the decorative nails. Made sure everything was pulled tight. I even made arm covers. It is Officially finished!!!
I'm happy with it.
Without that hanging over my head, I spent Sunday and Monday afternoon in the gardens weeding and transplanting. My kind of play.