Monday, January 3, 2011

Priviledged Sewing

This morning My husband and I said good bye to our son. I didn't think I would be in this position a few years ago. I knew I would say good bye, as in leaving the "nest". I just never dreamed in his growing up years that he would join the Marines. I wasn't anti-military, it had never been discussed, although my husband is a former Marine. Our son joined two years ago. I've had to rethink my views and how I would support our son. Today in the early morning hours I took this picture, our last for awhile, son and father. We said good bye, knowing he is on a long journey, serving with the Marines, for the next 16 months in Afghanistan.

While my son was home, I had the privilege of sewing on patches. You know all the "stuff" you see on uniforms. I had an education. So many pieces to wear under what you see. Garments for warm weather, garments for cold. Flame retardant clothing, covers for your head, and gloves. A variety of patches for each item, and inside each item, his name. It was a privilege to sew them on. Being able to do this small thing for him was important to me, and in a way, this is a small piece of me going along with him.


While my son was home, one of my daughters had a birthday. Last week we had seen a skirt made from a sweater. It was sooo cute. I went home looking through some old sweaters.......This is what I did:

I cut the sweater off, straight across, under the arm. The ribbing at the bottom of the sweater became the bottom of the skirt. (The skirt I saw turned the sweater up-side-down and had the ribbing hug the hip) I accented a pocket with embroidery. I cut a thin strip of wool and attached it to the bottom of the skirt for a vine with whip stitching.

Then I cut out leaves from another washed and shrunk sweater. I attached them with pearled cotton, using stitches for veins on the leaves. Next I cut out small pieces of dark red washed sweater wool. Pinching them together, as I sewed them on to create flowers.

I made a waist band using wool from the sleeves. I cut the band a little smaller than the skirt, so there would be some stretch to hold the skirt to the hip. I sewed it on with a Herringbone stitch, described for stretch construction in Alabama Studio Style.
It was a fun, creative project. I'm pleased with the outcome. I need to find some more sweaters..........so many ideas! Privileged sew for may family.

Thanks for visiting,

Debbie

6 comments:

Raymond Homestead said...

I'm sure it was hard to say goodbye to your son. I have 5 nephews serving in the military right now.
Sounds like you did quite a bit of sewing. Love the sweater skirt! Such a neat idea!!

Paula said...

I know you must be so proud of your son Debbie, but at the same time so sad to see him go... I'll send many prayers his way.
The skirt is adorable- I love the herringbone stitching- it's very unique!

primitivebettys said...

Thank you to your son for serving! Prayers he will be safe while doing so. You must be so proud!! The skirt you made is most darling! :)

Christine said...

Hello Debbie and thanks so much for paying me a visit. I hope we get to know each other a bit better this year!
How proud you must be of your son though I'm sure it was one of the toughest goodbyes you've said.
The sweater skirt is gorgeous -I so admire your skill!
Christine

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

It must have been so hard to say goodbye as he does his tour of duty!

That skirt is just toooo cute! I love it!

Manuela

tincanlily said...

I am slowly catching up on all my favorite blogs, I needed a little time away from the computer. I am sure you must be so proud of your son. My father was a Marine stationed in North Carolina. I can not even imagine what you must of been feeling while you were sewing those patches on his uniform. On a lighter note, I love that skirt. I have said it before, I love your sewing style. It is very creative.
Take care,
denise