Monday, February 7, 2011

Stop the Draft!

Something I wanted and needed to do for years! Stop the draft! This old house is NOT well insulated. The way it was constructed, we cannot blow in insulation. Then the issues of a old settling house, causing the doors to not fit tightly. I can see light around the doors.
I had some large pieces of upholstery fabric and purchased some more from the 50% off sale table, along with some quilt batting and made "quilts" for the doors. They are rather heavy, but they are stopping the drafts.
I sewed tabs at the top to easily slide along the rod, so the door can be opened without catching on the "quilt". This one is in the living room, and adds some life to a dark area.

This one is in the dining room. I made them long enough to "puddle" on the floor to stop the drafts. They add a cozy feel to the rooms. Hopefully they will cut down on the electric bill too.
Finally! I finally made them now that winter is soon to be gone. That's OK. I'm ready for next year.
Hope you are staying warm.
Debbie

2 comments:

Paula said...

That's a great idea, Debbie! We have some French doors on the back side of the house and they not only are drafty in the winter, but in the summer the evening sun comes shining through and makes it so hard to cool that end of the house. I may try this and see if it helps!

tincanlily said...

That is a great idea and you will be ready for next year. That is if winter does turn into spring. I had to close drapes in the living room and kitchen when the nights were below zero with the wind chill factor! It was the first time I ever had to do this. I will get back to you on the elephant cards. I gave those to my daughter.
Stay warm!
denise