When looking for a button in the bag, the bag folds open, no pouring needed. It's easy to sort through and find what I need. It's time to make my own button bag.
What I need:
- fabric 18''x 38''
- 5 1/2'' round of cardboard
- 8 1/2'' rings
- ribbon - 1 1/2 yd.
- Fold fabric in half, right sides together. Sew two sides. Turn right side out.
- Find the center of the square, and mark a 5 1/2'' circle.
- Insert the cardboard between the layers of fabric, centering.
- Pin around the cardboard circle to keep in place.
- Turn the raw edges of the forth side of the bag to the inside and sew closed.
- Sew the rings on. Place a ring at the center of each side, at the edge. For corner rings, place them 2 1/2'' from the point, in from each corner.
- Choose your ribbon, and thread through the rings and tie.
- Pile the buttons on the round and spilling over.
- Pull the ribbon up from each side, letting the buttons weight the bag.
So easy to plop open and search for the perfect button. Yet holding them in so they don't roll all over the floor. Maybe some day someone will remember this bag as grandma's button bag and think of it as a bag of treasure.