Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Transitions

This is a transitions time. From outside to inside. Getting that warm and cozy feeling in the home. I never really stop doing things outside. My focus just changes more to inside. In the fall, I tend to bring more flowers inside to enjoy than during the summer months. When it is warm, I enjoy the flowers and plants as they grow. This year, we have had a warmer fall, so the flowers keep blooming. They are so bright and cheerful these chilly mornings.
One of the transitions is having a warm spicy drink in the mornings. Homemade chai tea is so yummy! The making becomes a little ritual. The aroma of cinnamon, cloves, cardamon, nutmeg, and ginger fills the house. I spend a few moments contemplating the day ahead, and enjoying memories of "before".
My dear friend, Hannah, grew up making this tea in Kenya. It's a recipe to play around with and adjust to your taste.
3 C whole milk
2 T black Tea
2 3" sticks of cinnamon
4 whole cloves
several cardamon seeds, ground
1/2 t nutmeg
slice of fresh ginger
2 peppercorns
3 C water
Put it all in a pan and bring to a boil. Watch out! Don't let it boil over. Simmer the tea for about 30 seconds. Strain.
Add honey to taste.
Yum. Mum mm.
A wonderful way to wake in the morning.

2 comments:

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Thanks for the recipe! I used to buy chai tea mix so I'll have to try it.

Manuela

Paula said...

Mmmm... sounds wonderful. I 'll have to give it a try!!