Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Surprise Snowdrops

I was taking a "walk" around the back yard. Just noting what I need to start on before Spring. Here in the Northwest, Spring seems to come all at once. One day it's winter and freezing, the next day it's Spring. Not really, it just seems that way. The change is gradual. If we look closely we can see the signs. It's still cold in Spring, but we have more and more days of warmth. I was also pondering the change in our country. Change has been coming gradually. Yesterday, we saw it happen. It almost seems like it happened overnight, or just this year. But the change has been happening. We just haven't been looking. Just like seeing the first unexpected snowdrops. I saw the tops of spring bulbs starting to push through the dirt. Then, in another bed there they were - beautiful snowdrops. I hadn't been out in the garden to see them growing. It seem like they were suddenly there.
Right now, the garden is rather bleak. Just these few snowdrops. They are small. Think of how strong they are growing in the cold and snow, the weeks of freezing weather when many plants die. To me they are beauty. Also a reminder, of how, with nurturing, much will grow here in the warming months. So thinking about our country - we are in a "cold time" right now. But we know how to nurture, we know it will take us getting out in the "garden" and working. We can't have this place of bounty, without giving to it what it needs to grow. It's work to weed, fertilize, plant, and water. Soon, "Spring" will be here - our "garden" will be a place of beauty and bounty.

4 comments:

A Romantic Porch said...

I have never seen snowdrops. they are beautiful. I pray for the "garden of our country". xorachel

Eggs In My Pocket said...

It is so exciting to see new life coming up from the sleep of winter! Have a wonderful weekend, blessings, Kathleen

tincanlily said...

What a beautiful sight! There is eight inches of snow in my yard right now, so all of my spring flowers are covered! Thanks for showing us that there is a light at the end of this snow covered tunnel.
denise

Mrs.Kwitty said...

What a lovely post...and I so agree with your way of thinking!
Smiles, Karen